Thursday, June 4, 2009

Curb Post Workout Feasts


I'm in the height of my training for a 129 mile bike race called the Death Ride. I'm cycling up to 200 miles per week and cross training with weights and swimming. So, you'd think I'd be losing weight, right? Most annoyingly, the answer is NO! I've actually gained 5 pounds since I started training at this level. The reason being, my body craves all types of foods, healthy and unhealthy, and lots of it. It's extremely hard for me to limit portions, especially in fats, when I workout so much. I have this endless craving for peanut butter, sweets and any heavy carb dishes--favorites after a workout are Indian food, vegetarian burritos and salty tortilla chips.

In an effort to stop these after workout feasts, I did research on how athletes properly fuel themselves during and after a long workout. I've summarized this into 3 simple steps you can follow during and after your long workouts:
1) Eat more during the ride. You need approx. 2 calories per hour per pound of body weight which you can get through a carb & electrolyte drink, Clif bars, and other energy foods. If it is a long ride and is going through lunch, it is recommended you eat "real" foods such as a sandwich and a banana.
2) Have a snack ready to eat within 30min after a ride. It should contain both carbs and protein. Suggestions are a peanut butter banana sandwich, banana peanut butter smoothie with milk, or whole wheat pasta withParmesan cheese and an egg for protein.
3) Eat a healthy meal within 1-2 hours after a ride. Complex carbs and lean proteins should be the main players in this meal. Brown rice, potatoes/yams, steamed vegetables, grilled chicken, fish, lean steak and whole wheat pasta with olive oil, fresh rosemary and garlic are all favorite food choices among Pro Cyclists.

I will be sticking to this workout eating plan over the course of the next month leading up the the Death Ride and will hopefully report back that I'm not carrying those 5 lbs of burrito fat up the Death Ride hills.

No comments:

Post a Comment